home › deruta city

The medioeval centre of Deruta
The medioeval centre of Deruta.

Consoli square and the fountain
Consoli square and the fountain.

The Regional Museum of Ceramics in Deruta
The Regional Museum of Ceramics in Deruta.

The entry of the medioeval centre.
The entry of the medioeval centre.

Deruta city

The origins of Deruta remain in part dark. Along the time, Deruta has assumed several denominations until arriving to that one. Anciently it was tied with Perugia, of which it represented a valid bastion against the Todi neighbor. In the course of the centuries, the continuous plagues exterminated the population. During the war of the "Salt" (1540) Deruta, with the Pope, endured pillages and devastations; the subjugation of the church of Deruta with that one of Perugia carried to the citizenship along period of peace. It was in those years that had the maximum development of the ceramics which has introduced Deruta in the world.

The city center is situated on a hill that dominates the valley of the Tevere river. The Village is near of the town-walls building from where following the ancient arc it is approached the historical center. The public square, called "Square of the Consuls", is enriched from splendid source (1848) and from the Communal palace, where the painting gallery is located. Here it’s conserved an important collection of paintings of the near churches.

The nucleus more important is constituted from a part of the Lione Pascoli collection. Moreover they are painted of the Perugino, the Baciccio, the Alunno and Guido Reni. More ahead beside the church of Saint Francisco there is the former convent where, from 1998, the Regional Museum of the Ceramics is situated. In it immense exposure of material ordered by a chronological distance from the Middle Ages until now.

Inside there are things like the pavements, the plates from pump, the amatorie goblets, the risings, salt shakers, jars from pharmacy etc. In the low part of Deruta, where the ancient via Tiberina passes, the new city has been developed, above all from 1950 in then thanks to the numerous been born handicraft laboratories for the production of artistic ceramics.